Saturday, October 04, 2008

Back to School

Well, I am headed back to school.  After much thought and procrastination about pursuing my bachelor's degree I am finally going to do it.  I enrolled in an online university to be able to work around my work schedule that includes a fair amount of travel.  Classes start Monday, and I am really looking forward to doing something positive with my free time.  I have not been in school, or even taken a class, in a long time so it will be interesting getting back in the swing of things. 


I will be getting a BFA in Visual Communication with an emphasis on Digital Design.  I decided to go this route because I do a lot of this type of work at my current job and felt it could be applied immediately.  The degree program takes you through an understanding of modern digital design while teaching you to use tools such as Photoshop, Flash, AfterEffects, etc. in order to incorporate it.  There is also a class on Corporate Identity Development that I think will be very valuable given we do a lot of work with corporate pharma.  Anyway, classes start Monday and I am pumped.

Things around here have been pretty busy lately.  Erin has been back teaching for a month now and that first month is always a killer.  Also, we were off to Vegas a couple of weeks ago for my sisters wedding.  It was fun, but short.  We landed at noon on Friday and left early Sunday morning.  I had some good luck the first day when I won a thousand bucks at the Caribbean Stud table.  I never have great luck gambling, so it was a welcome surprise.  We saw LOVE, at The Mirage.  Great show.

After Vegas, my dad and I were off to Orange County for a work program.  We opted to drive the four and half hours instead of flying, because I figured the timing was a wash.  Cool drive through death Valley and up through the mountains into California.  It would have been that much more enjoyable if I was on more than 4 hours of sleep.  We rented a convertible, and cruised with the top down the whole way.  Neglecting to give the sun at high altitudes its proper respect, we both had severe facial sunburns and raccoon eyes from our sunglasses for the next couple of days.  Lovely.  Not to mention the peeling.  

No pictures, because my camera is broken.  Time to invest in a new one I suppose... they are just so darn expensive.

1 comment:

molly said...

cool ! i've taken a newfound interest in digital design as well. haven't muster the initiative to take a class on it, but maybe next semester... we'll see. if you're doing digital design you should invest in a fancy pants digital SLR with a bunch of amazing lenses and such . hey, you could use the grand you won at vegas to finance it!!!